Friday, June 29, 2012

3.5 - Reunion

Step one in making your finance talk to her parents again: Call them.



Step two involved a few choice words said by either side, ending with Dorian threatening to tie her to a chair and make her talk to them. River had a few things to say to that (most of them sexual) but in the end she headed downstairs without any kicking or screaming.




The smile is as forced as you can get, but the guilt is practically eating her alive now that she’s finally face to face with her parents.




Liam had grown old before River even left home, yet it isn’t until now that River realizes just how old her father is. He won’t be taken by grim just yet, but the worry she put him through probably ensured he’ll be meeting with Grim sooner rather than later.




Liam tries his best to keep things as civil as possible. “So uh... I heard you changed your surname to Sari.”
River nods softly. “Yeah... it just didn’t feel right to be called Weaver. And I just didn’t feel like an Evans even though dad kept trying to convince me to take his name.”
“So you’re still on good terms with Pablo, I see.” He doesn’t hide the bitterness from his voice.




River feels a deep panic setting back into her chest, even as Dorian senses her nervousness and comes to stand next to her. “I know you think he’s awful, and a monster, but he’s still my father and he’s been nothing but kind to me. He doesn’t look at me like there’s something wrong with me, and I’m not going to give up thievery just because you and mom disapprove. It makes me feel alive, and I like it. I don’t want to change.”
“I never wanted you to change-”
“You did!” River insists. “You wanted me to be a normal, boring member of society just like you and mom are. I can’t do that, and I’m sorry, but I can’t do it.”




“Alright.” Liam relents, knowing River got her mother’s stubbornness. “I’m sorry we hurt you, River. But please, don’t punish us like this. We’re still your parents, and we love you so much. Don’t push us away again. I can’t stand losing you.”




Serena looks to the side awkwardly before asking what Liam won’t. “May we come to your wedding?”




River’s face lights up. “Yes! Of course! That would just make everything perfect!”




The relief on Liam’s face is impossible to miss.




And Serena makes sure Dorian knows they approve of him joining the family. He’s a good boy, and they’re glad he seems to be keeping River level and out of trouble.




Her parents leave, and River settles down to eat before her bachelorette party. “Hey Dorian?”
“Yeeees?”
“... Thanks.”
That’s all she needs to say.




River’s bachelorette party goes off without a hitch.




Her coworkers know how to party and have a good time.




And Brooke even shows up despite her invitation being very last minute.




She makes a speech on her sister’s behalf.




And proceeds to douse her with fizzy nectar.




As soon as the “lifeguard” shows up, River’s memories become a blur of images. 








Only one memory really sticks. A comment from Cinnamon while they’re dancing. “I stopped working for your dad, y’know. Word on the street is he has full control of the local PD, yet they still managed to make the biggest bust of the year the night of your sister’s party. I feel like I can’t trust him anymore, so I left.”
River felt the need to say something, anything in her dad’s defense but... getting arrested that night was what pulled her from her family, what made her father coddle her and act the hero by getting her released early. Could Cinnamon be onto something? No... there’s no way. It must just be cruel gossip. 


"Dad musn't have had full control at that point." But she isn't sure she believes her own words now.



---

Next chapter's the wedding and I so insanely excited for it! You have no idea how badly I want these two to get started on their life together so they can start popping out babies! 

Bachelor/ette parties never fail to amuse me. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I really hope River wakes up to Pablo's nastiness now that Cinnamon's dropped that little gem of information!

    I'm so glad that she's back talking to her parents too, although I am wondering what Pablo will try to do to ruin that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already have the photos for the scene between Pablo and River but haven't actually written it out so sort of unsure as to how it will go. But I do hope it's satisfying enough for everyone.

      Pablo slips up. That's all I'm saying.

      Delete
  2. Aww, the reconciliation was so cute! Brooke is gorgeous (no suprise there), and Dorian and River seem so sweet together.

    ReplyDelete