Tuesday, February 19, 2013

7.20 - Schoolgirl Crush


Although things are awkward from the long separation, Coral and Nico both make a real effort to know their great-grandchildren.



Nalin warned them that their youngest, Iris, could be a little difficult but luckily enough she was always the first into the house just so she could hang out with her Devon. 




Iris still claims ownership over Devon, and he humors her with a very obvious eye roll (which usually earns him another water balloon to the face). Still, he does care about his little friend, and when she struggles with her basic math he’s always more than willing to sit down and help her through it one step at a time. 




And when Devon’s at football practice, Iris gets help from her cousin Zahara. 

“4x + 3 = 15. Find x. What in Watcher’s name is THIS? THIS ISN’T MATH! IT HAS LETTERS!”

Zahara’s so used to this. “X isn’t really a letter in algebra. It’s just like a... a question mark. You’re supposed to be looking for what number, when multiplied by four and added to three equals 15.”

“... That totally just made this worse, little miss smarty pants.”




You’re just a moron. But she doesn’t say that out loud. “So uh... I’m thinking of inviting Devon to my birthday party. Do you think he’d like to come?”




“I think he’d rather take out the garbage everyday for the rest of his life.” Iris responds. 

Zahara wonders why her cousin has to be so mean.




Bianca Monty is Z’s best friend from school. She’s the only one who really knows how deep Zahara’s crush on Devon Devlish goes. 

“You HAVE to ask him to go to your party!” She practically squeals. “Mia’s been giving him googly eyes all week! If you don’t grab him asap she totally will!”




Lilac, Z’s best friend at home agrees. 

“But what if he’d rather go out with older-”

“Don’t think that way, Z. Just ask him to come! If he says no, he says no. No big deal.”




It takes all her courage to run up to long, winding path to her great-grandparents home and knock on the door. Coral opens it and Z brushes past her without so much as a thank you. She finds Devon in the living room. 

“Hey kiddo, what’s up?”

“My birthday is tomorrow and I would really like you to be there. Not as family. Just as you.”




Devon looks at her in shock for a moment, almost blurting out that he was thinking of inviting Mia out to the park that day. Then he sees the nervousness in her face and sighs. “I’ll be there.”




“You were wrong!” Zahara exclaims with glee when Iris comes into her room to use the block table. “Devon’s coming tomorrow! I’m so excited!”




“That’s stupid.” Without another word Iris gets back up and knocks over the bridge Z had spent the last half hour building. 

Z glares at her. “You’re a real bitch, you know that?”




Zahara’s birthday has come once again. Her memories of her last party, and of her father are hazy at best, but this will prove to be a much better birthday in deed.




After all, her whole family is here, friends too.




And, of course, Devon. 

“Looking good, Z.”




“Mind if I sit next to you?”

She’s sure she’s as bright as a tomato right now. “Of course not!”




After the cake has been inhaled and the adults are doing their own thing, Devon pulls Zahara into the living room. “Shall we dance?”




Is she melting? She feels like she’s melting. “Dancing is good.”




She thought they were going to be doing normal dancing, but when Devon puts an arm on her waist and takes her right hand with his left, she realizes he was refers to something else. “I-I don’t really know how to slow dance, Dev.”




He smiles at her. “It’s easy. I’ll lead you.”

She relaxes in his arms, heart leaping when he slowly leads her steps and twirls her in front of him.

(Nico’s just happy to see those expensive dance lessons are actually coming in handy)




She leans against his chest as he wraps his arms around her, both of them slowly swaying to the music. “See? Easy. You’re a natural at this.”




After a few moments, Zahara turns around so they’re facing each other again. The look in his eyes makes her blush, and the sight of it just makes him smile all the more. “I’ve got a proposition for you, Z.”

She looks up at him again, surprised by his words. “A proposition?”

“I know this is really soon, and I’d have preferred to wait for you to get used to being a teenager first, but you are really, really gorgeous. Like, drop dead gorgeous. Will you go out with me this weekend?”




“Like... a date?”

He smiles again and nods. “Yes. Exactly like a date.”

This time she smiles too. “Okay.”




Monte Vista has a fair sized occult population, so they have an arborium. Prim visits is often but she’s never seen another fairy there before. 




At least, not until now.




Don’t scare him off. Don’t scare him off. Don’t scare him off....

“Hi! I’m Primrose. I uh, haven’t seen you around here before. Are you new here? I mean, not that I assume you’re new because I haven’t seen you. I mean, your hair would kind of stick out. Not that mine doesn’t, but uh-” She can’t even look at him now. She’s already fucked this up. He probably thinks she’s a freak.




Instead he smiles and gives a soft chuckle. “Hi Primrose. I’m Cloudchaser. And yes... I am new in town. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”



---

Z <3

So originally I was planning on having Devon be Coral and Nico's "miracle baby", and have him inherit daddy's terrible mouth. Then I really started thinking out Iris's story line and threw that out the window. 

Advanced warning: You guys are most likely going to detest my heir around. Every time I add stuff to my notes for future chapters its just to make her even more and more terrible. You really think she's going to take Devon and Z's date sitting down?

Big thank you to Calisims for sending me the adorable Cloudchaser Sunbright, from her Brannon Random Legacy. If you like fantasy, go for it. She puts my writing to shame. : ( 

Also go read Summerdream since I've already got you clicking links. 

15 comments:

  1. Eeee! Cloud! I love Prim, and I'm so happy you're planning on giving her her fairy tale ending. =D

    Zahara grew up really lovely. I really hope Iris doesn't murder her. =O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of in love with Cloud's wings. I couldn't stop staring at them in game. They're so pretty!

      I think if Iris murdered her cousin Devon would never forgive her. She'll have to be a bit smarter than that.

      Delete
  2. Iris never does take anything sitting down, lol, let alone Z moving in on her Devon. It should be interesting to see what she concocts, and whether or not it works or backfires on her!

    Z aged up well, and she looks adorable dancing with Devin. Poor Devin, he's in the cross-hairs! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Z was going to be pretty, but I'm very happy with how pretty she actually turned out. I think I'll be having fun with this generation.

      Poor Devon in deed. : (

      Delete
  3. Zahara is lovely! And now I'm really worried for her. lol. And yay for Prim! She needs a happy ending! I'm so curious to see if she gets to see her daughters again.
    And, oh who am I kidding, I'm still swooning over Devon and Zahara and their sweet exchange. I hope Devon has his big boy pants on, cause I bet he's in for a ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon is definitely in for a wild ride. On one hand, he's got a girl he'd like to date. On the other... his best friend. Something's goanna give eventually.

      This really isn't a spoiler anymore, Prim's goanna have a happy ending. Well, happy when she leaves my family. Hopefully continuing to be happy once SP takes over.

      Delete
  4. Uh oh, I can't see Iris being happy about Zahara going on a date with Devon, and I suspect she will do something about her displeasure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muahaha bring on Iris! Her and Devon are meant to be together, clearly Zahara's getting in the way lol. I'm rooting for Iris...for now. It depends on how totally evil she gets. But for now I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold onto that love, cause Iris is really goanna get pretty bad.

      Delete
    2. Ah well, Iris was born to be the villain. Devon should just accept that and go quietly...but that would be no fun so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

      Delete
    3. Iris won't always be THE villain, but she does do some dastardly things. Still, she starts off slow. : )

      Delete
  6. I saw that you updated and I was so happy! I too am rooting for Iris. She just has, oh I dunno, some sort of devilish charm about her. I don't care how evil she gets. I just want to see how gorgeous she is as a teen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be a teen next chapter. : )

      I'm kinda curious as to see if what she does will make people hate her or love her more. But she isn't going to always be the villain. Shit happens.

      Delete
  7. Well, color me intrigued. Iris already has an attitude, I'm curious to see just how bad she gets when she's older.

    Also, Z is adorable.

    ReplyDelete